Below are the most frequently asked questions about donating to RAINN.
- What is RAINN’s tax ID number?
- Is RAINN a tax-exempt organization?
- Is my donation tax deductible?
- Where is my donation receipt?
- How can I refund my donation or purchase?
- How do I change or update my monthly donor information?
- How much of my donation will go toward programs and services?
- Is my donation secure?
- How do I make a donation in honor of someone?
- Can I make a donation anonymously?
- How can I fundraise for RAINN?
- How can I donate to RAINN through Amazon? How does AmazonSmile work?
- How do I include RAINN in my will?
- How do I make a donation over the phone or by mail?
- How do I make a donation without being added to RAINN’s email or mailing list?
- What are my rights as a donor?
If your question is not answered here, please call 202.587.5355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional support.
RAINN’s tax ID number is 52-1886511.
Yes. RAINN is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. In other words, we are a non-profit organization, and your donation to RAINN is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Our tax ID number is: 52-1886511.
Yes, all donations to RAINN are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law, as long as no goods or services were exchanged. You will receive an email confirmation immediately after submitting your donation, and this email can serve as a receipt for tax purposes. You will also receive a physical (paper) acknowledgement of your gift through the mail.
You will receive an email confirmation after submitting your online donation. This email serves as your donation receipt. You can print or save the email as proof of receipt for tax purposes. You will also receive a physical (paper) acknowledgement of your gift through the mail.
If you donated by check to RAINN, you will receive a physical (paper) acknowledgement of your gift through the mail after your donation has been processed.
RAINN is able to refund your donation in full or in part, within thirty days of your donation. To do so, please forward the email confirmation you received to email@example.com. We will issue a refund using your original method of payment and notify you when the refund has been processed. We appreciate your commitment to helping survivors and hope you'll continue to support RAINN in the future.
You may return merchandise purchased from RAINN within 60 days, as long as the items are unused and in the original packaging. Please forward the email confirmation you received to firstname.lastname@example.org with the reason for your return or include a physical copy in the returned package. Return products to: RAINN, 1220 L St. NW Suite 505, Washington, DC 20005. Original shipping fees are not refundable unless the return is a result of our error. We will issue a refund using your original method of payment and notify you when the refund has been processed.
You can cancel or modify or cancel your monthly donation at any time. If you would like to make a change to your monthly donation or update your personal information, please email email@example.com or call 202.544.1034.
RAINN is committed to using funds responsibly to create and execute programs that make an impact in the lives of survivors of sexual violence, their loved ones, and the general public. In fact, 93¢ out of every dollar you donate will go directly to our programs and services. Read more about RAINN’s commitment to fiscal responsibility and where your money goes.
Your security is important to us, and we take every measure to ensure your information is protected. RAINN’s donation process complies with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). The process is fully encrypted using industry best practices to ensure your personal and credit card information is kept private and secure. We perform frequent scans on our donation systems to ensure that your information is protected against threats. Find out more about RAINN’s payment processors at Authorize.net and Paypal.com.
You can celebrate a loved one, mark a special occasion, or simply remind someone they are on your mind with a special gift to RAINN. You can also choose to make tribute gifts by collecting donations for a celebration, like a wedding, or in remembrance of a special person.
Select “I would like my gift to honor someone” on the donate page, located beneath the gift amount. You will be prompted to fill in the name of the person you are honoring. You can also add contact information and a personal note so that RAINN may notify this person of your special gift. The donation amount will not be specified in the note to your honoree, unless you instruct us otherwise.
You will receive an email confirmation of your gift. This email serves as your donation receipt. You can print or save the email as proof of receipt for tax purposes. You will also receive a physical (paper) acknowledgement of your gift through the mail. RAINN’s tax ID number (52-1886511).
Questions about your tribute gift? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.544.1034.
Yes. On the donate page, check the box that says, “I would like to make this donation anonymously.” This ensures that your name will not appear on our website or printed materials. Please note that RAINN will keep a record of your name and information associated with your gift in a secure database for payment processing purposes. RAINN will never share this information and will only use it for the purposes of communicating with you directly.
Thank you for your interest in fundraising for RAINN. All across the country, generous individuals raise money for RAINN through creative projects, events, campaigns, and programs. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer supporter, the easiest way to get started is by reading through our fundraising page and making a profile on our fundraising platform. RAINN also provides tips and support to all volunteer supporters to make your fundraiser fun and successful. Contact Fundraiser Coach Emily Buetow at email@example.com with any questions or to sign up to raise funds for RAINN.
Every time you shop with Amazon your purchase could be supporting survivors of sexual violence. AmazonSmile is a program developed by Amazon to automatically donate a portion of your purchase to a charity of your choice, with no additional cost to you. Visit smile.amazon.com each time you shop to ensure your purchase will support RAINN. You’ll find the exact same goods and prices—but a portion of the money you spend will be donated to support survivors.
Sign-up for AmazonSmile:
Visit smile.amazon.com and select RAINN as the charitable organization you wish to receive donations from your purchases. Amazon will remember your selection, and every eligible purchase you make at smile.amazon.com will result in a donation. You can continue to shop as you normally would, knowing that your money is going to support RAINN’s programs and services.
Learn more about the AmazonSmile program.
Arranging a planned gift helps RAINN face future challenges and grow our programs to provide support to those who need it. There are many ways to include RAINN in your will, such as gifts tied to your estate, life income gifts, a charitable lead trust, and naming RAINN as a beneficiary of your retirement or insurance plan.
Choosing the right planned gift depends on your personal circumstances and financial goals. Please consult your financial advisor to determine the right option for you. For inquiries regarding your planned gift, contact RAINN’s Director of Development, Chelsea Bowers, at 202.544.3561 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about planned giving with RAINN.
You can make a donation over the phone Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET. To do so, please call 202.544.3561.
You can also send a check or money order payable to RAINN:
1220 L St. NW, Suite 505
Washington, DC 20005
We do not advise sending cash through the mail, as funds can be lost in transit.
Your privacy and security are important to us. While we need your contact information to process a credit card donation, we will honor your request to not contact you, other than to send you a tax receipt for your donation.
You can stop communication from RAINN in three ways:
- At the time of your donation, indicate that you do not want to receive communication from RAINN in the “Message to RAINN” box at the bottom of donation form.
- If you receive an email from RAINN, click “unsubscribe” from the bottom of the email.
- At any time, you can email email@example.com and we will remove you from our mailing list.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have the rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization's governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The Donor Bill of Rights was created by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), the Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and the Giving Institute: Leading Consultants to Non-Profits. It has been endorsed by numerous organizations. Learn more from AFP.