Online Hotline Internship
The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network is the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization. RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1.800.656.HOPE and the National Sexual Assault Online Hotline at rainn.org, and publicizes the hotline's free, confidential services; educates the public about sexual assault; and leads national efforts to prevent sexual assault, improve services to victims and ensure that rapists are brought to justice. Each semester RAINN has openings for interns at their Washington, DC office. College students and recent grads with a commitment to ending sexual violence and helping victims of sexual assault are encouraged to apply.
In 2007, RAINN expanded its hotline services with the National Sexual Assault Online Hotline, the nation's first secure web-based hotline that provides live and completely confidential help to victims through an interface as intuitive as instant messaging.
Goals of the Online Hotline
- To ensure the safety of each visitor.
- To encourage survivors to contact their local rape crisis centers for continued support.
- To serve as a gateway to additional support services.
- To provide consistent service to all visitors.
- To take the visitors seriously and treat them with respect.
- To provide appropriate local services, if locality is voluntarily provided by the visitor.
- To assist the visitor with discovering all of his/her options for action (contacting local rape crisis center, reporting the incident to the police, completing a rape kit, finding safe housing, etc.)
Even if you have no prior direct experience working with those affected by sexual violence, RAINN offers a 40-hr trainings program for interns to give you the tools and knowledge to effectively support trauma survivors. Each semester interns will:
- Complete a 40 hr training program encompassing sexual assault, domestic violence, crisis intervention and online communication.
- Help people from all over the country find resources and support in the recovery process.
- Provide vital research assistance for RAINN’s hotlines.
- Be part of a national volunteer community with members across the country.
- Opportunities to attend community outreach events or Congressional hearings related to sexual assault.
This is an unpaid, part-time position. RAINN employees will work with the student and university to ensure college credit is given for the internship.