Programs and Expertise
RAINN is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization and leading authority on sexual violence. We are a dynamic organization comprised of experts in victim services, public education, public policy, and technology. Our team works together to provide best-in-class services for survivors, inform and educate the nation about sexual violence, and improve the public policy and criminal justice response to sexual violence.
The victim services experts at RAINN take a victim-centered, trauma-informed approach to developing programs and services that support survivors of sexual violence and their loved ones. As the country’s leading provider of sexual assault services, we have developed programs to help survivors in all stages of recovery.
- RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline, accessible 24/7 by phone (800.656.HOPE) and online (online.rainn.org). We work closely with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers to offer confidential support services to survivors regardless of where they are in their recovery. Our telephone and online hotlines have helped more than 2.5 million survivors. Learn more about local service providers.
- We operate the DoD Safe Helpline for members of the Department of Defense community who have been affected by sexual assault.
- We offer innovative technology and services for partners in the field, including organizations, universities, and government agencies.
- We also provide training services for companies and organizations, as well as staff and volunteers at more than 1,000 local sexual assault service provider partners.
RAINN’s communications experts raise the visibility of sexual violence and advance the public’s understanding of the crime. We work with the media, entertainment industry, and colleges across the country to provide accurate information about sexual violence prevention, prosecution, and recovery.
- RAINN is recognized as the go-to source for media seeking expert commentary and research on sexual violence news and stories and also curates news content highlighting RAINN's work in the field and the work of our partners.
- We collaborate with the entertainment industry to ensure that shows and films reflect the reality of the crime.
- We maintain an active social media presence, reacting to current events and ensuring that people who need support can find it through the National Sexual Assault Hotline.
- We operate the Speakers Bureau, a network of more than 1,500 survivors who volunteer to share their stories with local communities and the media.
- We work with students to raise visibility for the issues of sexual violence prevention and recovery on campus.
RAINN’s policy team works at the federal and state level to improve the criminal justice system, prevent sexual assault, and ensure justice for survivors.
- We help create and advocate for laws and regulations that make communities safer and support survivors.
- We work closely with the Departments of Justice, Education, and Health & Human Services to improve the federal response to sexual violence.
- We lead the national effort to end the rape kit backlog, while collaborating with allies to promote state action through the Rape Kit Action Project.
- We maintain the Laws in Your State database, the most up-to-date source of information for students, lawmakers, and others seeking to understand sexual violence laws across the nation (with special thanks to our partner, Hogan Lovells).
RAINN’s consulting and subject matter experts work with clients across the public, private, and nonprofit sectors to develop targeted, effective sexual violence education and response programs. RAINN’s services prepare organizations to effectively provide education about sexual violence and to respond to incidents in a way that facilitates healing and promotes safe and healthy communities. To do this, we offer a variety of specialized consulting services to meet each organization’s unique needs, including hotline services, consulting, program assessments, and education and training.
- We have demonstrated expertise in assisting a variety of organizations, including federal partners, institutions of higher education, hospitality and amusement organizations, and other businesses.
- We offer both the technology infrastructure and the victim service expertise to provide quality, anonymous, and confidential crisis intervention services via telephone or online hotline in English and Spanish.
- We provide tailored consulting to help organizations that are at any point in the process—whether this is the first conversation an organization has had on the topic or there have been policies in place for years.
- We conduct victim-centered, trauma-informed education and response program assessments based on leading research, regulatory guidance, and state and federal laws to evaluate program strengths and weaknesses.
- We are a leader in providing comprehensive sexual violence education and trainings for professionals and volunteers nationwide, providing content that engages, educates, and prepares adult learners to support and help survivors of sexual assault.
We Can't Do It Alone
We are proud to count corporations, media networks, entertainers, and athletes as supporters of RAINN. Thanks to this support, our programs and services are able to reach millions of Americans each year.
Learn more about becoming a corporate partner to provide critical support for RAINN’s programs and services.