RAINN Turns 16!
Sixteen years ago this week, RAINN’s founder, Scott Berkowitz, stood beside musician Tori Amos backstage at a Baltimore concert hall, in front of a large group of photographers, cameramen, and reporters. Amos, RAINN’s first spokesperson, dialed 1-800-656-HOPE, making the ceremonial first call. With that, the National Sexual Assault Hotline was launched.
A lot has happened since then. RAINN has grown from one program (the hotline) to become the largest anti-sexual violence organization in the nation. Here are just a few of the things RAINN has accomplished in that time:
- The National Sexual Assault Hotline has helped 1.4 million victims.
- RAINN launched the National Sexual Assault Online Hotline, which won the coveted Technology Innovation Award for being the best use of technology by a nonprofit.
- RAINN’s network of partner rape treatment centers has grown from 347 to 1,100.
- Television networks and other media partners have donated more than $200 million of ad time to promote RAINN and the hotlines.
- The organization created RAINN Day, a college education that takes place on more than 1,000 campuses nationwide. More than 5,000 volunteers participate in RAINN Day each year.
- RAINN developed an aggressive public policy program and helped pass landmark legislation like the Debbie Smith Act and the new cruise crime bill.
- And, RAINN has been fortunate to receive the help of supporters like you.
Please help us to honor the last 16 years of progress by pledging to donate $16 a month to RAINN — just 53¢ a day. Over the course of a year, your 53¢ a day will enable 19 victims to receive the support that they need and deserve.