Cosmopolitan Magazine Features RAINN
In honor of Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention Month, Cosmopolitan magazine highlighted the threat of “date-rape” drugs in their April issue. The article, “I Was Drugged and Raped by Two Men,” features the real-life story of a 27-year-old woman who survived a drug-facilitated sexual assault. RAINN provided expert commentary for the article, connecting readers with vital information on how these drugs are used by predators, tips on how to stay safe, and how to get help through the National Sexual Assault Hotlines (800.656.HOPE, and online at rainn.org).
RAINN's top safety tips for safe drinking:
1. Don't leave your drink unattended while talking, dancing, using the ladies's room, or making a phone call.
2. At parties, don't drink from punch bowls or other large, common open containers.
3. If someone offers to get you a drink from the bar at the club or party, go with them to the bar to order it, watch it being poured, and carry it yourself.
4. Watch out for your friends, and vice versa. Always leave the party or bar together. If a friend seems out of it, is way too drunk for the amount of liquor she's had, or is acting out of character, get her to a safety place immediately.
5. If you think you or a friend has been drugged, call 911, and be explicit with doctors so they'll give you the right tests (you'll need a urine test and possibly others). The National Sexual Assault Hotline (800-656-HOPE) can often send an advocate to the hospital to help you through the whole process.
To read more, pick up a copy of Cosmopolitan magazine, on newsstands now!