The Rapist isn't a Masked Stranger
Approximately 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.1
73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.1
38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.1
28% are an intimate.1
7% are a relative.1
The perpetrator's not Hiding in the Bushes
More than 50% of all rape/sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occured within 1 mile of their home or at their home.2
- 4 in 10 take place at the victim's home.
- 2 in 10 take place at the home of a friend, neighbor, or relative.
- 1 in 12 take place in a parking garage.
- 24% occur between midnight and 6:00am.
- The other 33% take place between 6:00am and 6:00pm.
- The average age of a rapist is 31 years old.2
- 52% are white.2
- 22% of imprisoned rapists report that they are married.2
- Juveniles accounted for 16% of forcible rape arrestees in 1995 and 17% of those arrested for other sex offenses.2
- In 1 in 3 sexual assaults, the perpetrator was intoxicated — 30% with alcohol, 4% with drugs.3
- In 2001, 11% of rapes involved the use of a weapon — 3% used a gun, 6% used a knife, and 2 % used another form of weapon.2
- 84% of victims reported the use of physical force only.2
- 18.6% for a violent offense.
- 14.8% for a property offense.
- 11.2% for a drug offense.
- 20.5% for a public-order offense.
- U.S. Department of Justice. 2005 National Crime Victimization Study. 2005.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Statistics. 1997 Sex Offenses and Offenders Study. 1997.
- U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Statistics. 1998 Alcohol and Crime Study. 1998.
- 2002 Recidivism of Prisoners Released in 1994 Study. 2002.
43% of rapes occur between 6:00pm and midnight.2
Rapists are more likely to be a serial criminal than a serial rapist.
46% of rapists who were released from prison were re-arrested within 3 years of their release for another crime.4