RAINN 'EM IN Social Media and Event Intern
Do you love social media and are up to speed on the latest social trends? Are you someone who can capture just the right moment and share it with your followers in a meaningful way to build and engage with your audience? Do you love to be a part of events that make a difference in people's lives? And if an event includes inflatable pony races, are you even more excited?
If you found yourself nodding at each question above, you may be the perfect addition to the RAINN 'EM IN team -- a unique fundraising event that supports RAINN (the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization). We're currently hiring an intern to help with our third annual Human-Powered Horse Race.
So what is RAINN 'EM IN? It's an event founded in 2012 by Seattle woman, Jennifer Shipe, a rape survivor whose goal has been to raise awareness and support for survivors of sexual violence through events and activities that center around a positive spirit and sense of community. "I've always been an athlete and sports fan. And I love the way communities rally around a game or event. So for me, this play on Horse Racing's Triple Crown seemed like the right way to make this difficult subject approachable. I wanted to use fun to create a sense of empowerment and healing. And I dare you to watch on inflatable pony relay without cracking a smile." We've raised close to $50,000 in two years with races in 3 cities (Seattle, Philadelphia and Washington, DC). We're excited for our 2014 season!
King 5 story from the 2012 race (we now race at Emerald Downs): http://www.king5.com/news/local/Penn-State-alum-helps-sex-assault-victim...
This is an inflatable horse race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVzkRrvoo9s
Find out more about RAINN 'EM IN: www.rainnemin.com
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with RAINN 'EM IN Founder/Chairperson to build the RAINN 'EM IN social communities (primarily Facebook, Twitter but potentially to build a presence on Instagram, YouTube and tumbir.)
- Serve as the voice for these channels, developing innovative ideas to best engage our social communities (followers, supporters, fans) in collaboration with the RAINN team and other corporate partners.
- Take photos of the RAINN 'EM IN promo pony out in the world, capturing those special and fun moments that we can share with our communities (and you'll get to keep the pony!)
- Research social media trends, implementing for RAINN 'EM IN channels as possible.
- Research community and university outreach opportunities and attend (as available) with RAINN 'EM IN chairperson/committee.
- Brainstorm cool, out of the box ways to raise awareness and interest in RAINN 'EM IN's annual races (on a national and local Seattle scale). Then help to bring these ideas to life.
- Attend planning meetings (may include the venue, Emerald Downs).
- Assist in drafting emails and other communication materials.
- If you can illustrate or fumble through design programs to develop materials, that's a rad bonus (but not required).
- Help with website updates (we currently use Weebly as a site tool for real-time updates).
- Help with supporter database management and organization.
- Volunteer recruitment.
- Race event day support (if available).
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess an understanding of the issue of sexual violence and have a passion to end it.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong organizational skills
- An understanding of social media trends
- A passion for anything creative and inspiring
This is an unpaid, part-time position. The candidate will need to work from a personal computer/device. Work schedule will be flexible with 15-20 hours to be logged per week (can vary based on length on internship and with personal/college commitments). We're hoping for someone who can work from mid-October through May to be a part of the Seattle event at Emerald Downs on May 17. But this is flexible.
RAINN employees will work with the student and university to ensure college credit is given for the internship. And review/referrals will be written to assess performance.
Please send resume, cover letter and desired days/hours to Jennifer Shipe at firstname.lastname@example.org.